Friday, October 1, 2010

"Fringe": Season 3, Episode 2. "The Box"

Production Designers: Ian D. Thomas, Steven J. Jordan
Set Decorators: Beth Kushnick, Louise Roper

Source: IMDB

"Fringe" is set in Boston. It is filmed in Vancouver. There's a challenge.

I don't envy anyone who has to design a set to resemble Boston's Green Line, a subway train that the locals refer to mostly with venom. Some utter confusion, but mostly venom. It's old the oldest in the nation it's slow, and it holds so few passengers that one can tell who's wearing Old Spice and who's not. But to some extent I wish that the version of Kent Street station featured in this episode actually existed.

According to Wikipedia,* Kent Street Station "consists of two staggered side platforms which serve the "C" Branch's two tracks." In order to create dramatic tension and allow Peter Bishop (Joshua Jackson) to save the city, the station had to operate on a single track with a dark and ominous tunnel. Quite frankly, I hate it when I'm waiting on an island platform and the train that arrives first is always running in the opposite direction from which I want to go, but I sense I'm not alone in that. That same entry also states that the station is not wheelchair accessible, so the elevator is inaccurate (if that's where the exit where the up and down arrows leads to), but desperately needed.

Oh, and one other little detail: the real Kent Street station is an OUTDOOR platform, which Wikipedia managed to leave out. Stupid Wikipedia. (Side note, I finally looked up the map and realized that Kent Street is where my former doctor's office is located.) Well, that doesn't work for these purposes at all. Time for some studio magic!

*I know that Wikipedia is not always the most reliable source but I can't imagine anyone being bored enough to mess with this.

Seriously, a pay phone? And an extra is using it? I find I am a bit indcredulous.

IT'S GOT AN ARRIVAL ANNOUNCEMENT LIGHT BOARD!  My apologies to public transportation designers who actually know the technical term for that. Okay, it's probably just a lit up timepiece, but still. I've visited Washington DC several times and have gotten envious at their ability to predict the arrival of the next train. Unfortunately the Green Line is so far from automated that without a universal renovation something this practical seems so highly unlikely. That doesn't stop me/us from wanting it.


Wait, where did the pay phone go? Behind the wall, I know, but it looks like a clever trick.
Spitting image items include the grimy subway tile, the green I-beams, signage, and the overall look and structure of the platform. (Note: I am speaking in terms of the Green Line in general, since the whole "outside platform" thing renders my whole discussion moot) In cases like this, having the big picture match up is much more important than the little pieces. After all, the set is the backdrop on which the characters are meant to sell the story.

Any other Bostonians want to chime in? What's wrong here? What's right here? Other than the obvious of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment