Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Set

As my "About Me" states, I love interior design, and I love pop culture. One I have spent a lot of money to learn; the other, a lot of time. The former prefers to float within the realm of high art (and science, but that's for another blogger to dissect); the latter is more esoteric.

There are a lot of people who write about interior design extremely well. I follow them on Twitter, and then over to their blogs. Some of them include Habitually Chic, The Brass Petal, Create Girl, and the ever-pervasive Apartment Therapy, which I find fascinating. All of these sites (and many others I could not name here) contain a lot of gorgeous eye candy and the fantasy world they present makes me feel sloppy drunk with pleasure. I say "fantasy world" insomuch as these places do exist, but often in private homes we will never see outside of a handful of photographs. Therefore, their idealized design is unavailable to the masses.

Then there are the folks who write about pop culture, and especially television, which in my estimation is seeing a huge rise in its ability to visually convey a story over the last decade. With the advent of cable series and the risks these series have been able to take with their storylines, we have watched this dichotomy of their attempt to portray authenticity under the guise of a hugely fantastic premise. Bloggers whose work each week to scrutinize the story, characters, and dialogue of long form narratives, include my husband, who writes at Boob Tube Dude ("Nepotism!" the masses cry), and those of his colleagues at HitFix and AOL’s TV Squad.

What I want to do here is take a look at the work that the art director and the set decorator have done in analyzing a script and designing the environment in which their characters live and work -- their reality, so to speak. Sometimes, like today, I will provide a relatively thorough analysis, while at other times you might get to see that I actually have a sense of humor.

People in this day and age love their favorite shows and movies, and love to inspect every detail (thank you DVR and LOST). While that happens, I'll be here enjoying the view.

VM82F9KFT8PF

No comments:

Post a Comment