Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Chuck": Season 4, Episode 2. "Chuck Versus the Suitcase"

Production Designer: Cece Destefano
Set Decorator: William DeBiasio
Set Decoration Buyer: Kami Lamprade

Source: IMDB

"I see Sophia stays in the Presidential Suite." So says international spy Chuck Bartowski (Zachary Levi) as he and this partner Sarah Walker (Yvonne Strahovski) are tracking a supermodel (the aforementioned Sophia, Karolina Kurkova) in Milan during Fashion Week who is suspected in the arms trading of "superbullets." Wow. "Chuck" plots are fun and goofy when you watch them onscreen, but they sound downright ridiculous on paper. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during the table read at the moment in the script where Sophia fights Chuck and Sarah while naked. Yes, you read that right.

Well the Presidential Suite is full of goodies, and not just those superbullets. The lamps alone might take me a bit of time to track down. Yep, it's time to play copycat again so I can tell you where to find key elements of the set to help make your home look just as hip.

Stills from NBC

Lighting first. I love how the production team has layered the lamps in here. It makes a moody and auspicious nighttime scene even more so since the majority of the lighting is on and it's still really dark in there. (See: curtain selection below) Below is a selection of facsimiles for you to steal. Well, buy really. There's a Buy More joke in there somewhere but I'd hate to inflict that upon you.



1. Ashanti Orange Table Lamp from LiteSource/Lamps USA. The base is an excellent match, but the shade should be switched out for something white and ovular oval-shaped. I don't think "ovular" is a word. If it's not, it should be.

2. Glass Lamp with Satin Nickel from Target. Home Goods carries this style like crazy as well.

3. Jayne Artichoke Green Ceramic Table Lamp from Lamps Plus. This unique take on the genie-bottle style base gives it added depth.

4. Twine Floor Lamp from CB2. Perfect, perfect, perfect.

5. Lights Up! Devo Table Lamp with Square Base from Design Public. The shade may be larger than the one shown on this set, but I actually prefer it that way. Gives it a funkier edge.

6. Energy Efficient White Fabric 20 ¼” Ceiling Light from Lamps Plus. Classic yet modern, and not fussy. Though I think there may have been a missed opportunity to find a flush mount that was more chic and still not distracting. Perhaps like this Possini European Floral Flush Mount.

The furniture and window treatments were more of a challenge, but I relish a challenge. Here we go:


1. Worth King-Size Platform Bed and 2 Nightstands from Overstock.com. Zen styling in a wenge finish. The nightstands appear to be easy to bolt down which would be very attractive to a hotel buyer. Also available in queen size.

2. Studio Standard Squares Grommet-Top Panel Drapes from JC Penney. JC Penney's curtains never cease to amaze me, as a good deal of their collection is both stylish and affordable (I have found some to be god-awful; however, still amazed overall). I have them in both my dining and living rooms and my guests are drawn to them when they visit. Also, woot to the huge color selection, and drat for making my job more difficult. I believe the color used here is called "Brushwood Multi" but it's impossible to tell 100% with all of that mood lighting.

3. LACK Wall Shelf from IKEA. So enjoyable to look at. So versatile. Holds everything from books to wine.

4. White Leather Sofa from AtHomeUSA. Sleek, white, leather, tufted. Bonus futon action.

5. Small Round Side Table from Etsy. Good news? Perfect match and cool 1960s vibe. Bad news? Only one left in stock which stinks since the suite uses several. Second option is the Swank C Table from CB2.

6. Yield White Vinyl Swivel Chair from Target. This choice is a little off the beaten path, but I can imagine Chuck and Morgan swiveling back and forth while trying to look like cool spies with straight faces. And that makes me laugh.

7. Bliss Living Home Gemini Red Pillow from LinensNThings. So remember when LinensNThings was having serious financial problems not too far back? Well the company has come a looooong way since then and I was absolutely blown away by their decorative pillow collection. Can't speak for the rest of their products, just the pillows. But oh, what lovely pillows.

Side note: If this were a real hotel suite, I would say that most of the materials and finishes would not adhere to US fire codes and commercial grade durability standards, particularly since I'm quite certain I found the exact source for the curtains. But this is supposed to be in Italy, so I think I'll give it a pass.

So there you have it. I have done your spy research for you prior to your important mission. Reporting from The Castle, this is Diana the Design Diva wishing you happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment